One thought on “How Urban Semester Impacted My Career…

1. My first internship assignment was with Hartford’s Salvation Army, where most of my time was spent planning local life skills programs all the way to coordinating special events for their membership, including jaunts to area towns (for apple-picking, etc.) all the way to trips to New York City to see a show. This provided just enough activity where members could enjoy themselves, forgetting their daily hardships, if only for a while.

The next assignment was with Hartford’s Elderly services, where, daily, I visited elderly ‘shut-ins,’ making sure they were receiving all the social services for which they qualified (energy assistance amongst others).

In both positions (these, in addition to Ms. Simmons’ informative classes), I made great strides with and contacts in the social work profession. Most importantly, though, I made a lasting difference in people’s lives- true social work. Not to be a broken record, but I matured under the Urban Semester. This semester changed my life, showing me ways in which to become a better adult and citizen- contributing to the greater good of the whole.

A thank you goes out to Ms. Simmons for her tireless work. She has changed countless lives through the Urban Semester program- she should be proud!