One thought on “Share Your Favorite Recollections of the Urban Semester Program…

1. I was one of seven Urban Semester (US), who lived on Enfield Street in Hartford’s North End in the fall of 1977. My placement was the Planning Department of Hartford City Hall. When US ended that December, I had a full and part-time job in Hartford, so finished my degree requirements at the West Hartford Branch. I graduated in May 1978. Coincidentally, in 1988 I worked in the Finance Department of Hartford City Hall and collaborated with some of the employees I met when I was an US intern there under Margaret Johnson. I worked in Hartford for fifteen years after US and owned a home there until I moved to Canton, CT in 1992. US allowed me the opportunity to become immersed in the politics of Hartford during insurance redlining hearings, to conduct housing tests as a volunteer with Educacion Instruccion, to work with Sid Garnder and the Commission on Aging and to be hired as an Outreach Worker for the VISTA pilot program with Foster Grandparents. As an US intern, I had my first political campaign experience getting Maria Sanchez elected to the Board of Education. US enabled me to find a ‘road less traveled’ career as a fundraising consultant for NPO’s and afforded me a professional and personal vision that enriched my life from that semester forward. I am grateful for having been an Urban Sememster student.